I had a very interesting experience this week... well interesting for me :) I sensed that students were second guessing themselves on their interviews. This got me to thinking about the experience for student researchers. While Primary Investigators design a project knowing what they want and looking at ways to accomplish that goal; students must learn what the investigator wants, try to please those people, refine their skills, and worry about not doing it right. In that situation, I think students over think what is being asked of them. On the other hand, the investigators cannot leave too much undefined or the results will not be valid. It is a fine line. How to make the student's feel comfortable with their skills and encourage discussion, while maintaining the integrity of the project?
I then thought back to my dissertation: how I knew what I wanted to do but was concerned that my committee wouldn't like it, or they would find fault. I think that is a major part of research; being able to say what you want to do in understandable language and relay that understanding to others. I also think about the IRB process and how one needs to make each step in the research process understandable and clear to the board.
The benefit of working with others is that one is able to voice their concerns and opinions and get feedback. I wonder how independent researchers overcome their isolation in the research arena?
Just some thoughts...
MG
No comments:
Post a Comment