Saturday, January 28, 2012

Summary Weeks 7 & 8

As the other faculty mentioned, we have been busy over the last 2 weeks! We attended the poster session and faculty meetings in Miami. Our lab was definitely a topic of conversation! As Dr. Amy discussed we had great comments on our posters. We also conducted a training session for faculty on how to develop their own labs – which created a lot of enthusiasm for the idea! We have had many emails from faculty and administrators asking for more details. We will also be conducting training webinars for faculty in February on developing the labs.

Students have been reworking their sections of the lit review the past 2 weeks. We are definitely seeing improvements in writing and critical thinking in the students. We had a phone lab meeting this week in which we discussed the plans for the rest of the quarter. Students will continue to work on the lit review and the faculty will work on the rest of the paper. We will keep in touch with the students after the quarter has ended and give them the opportunity to edit and make comments on future drafts.
In my travels I read two interesting books that I would like to share with you. The first is:

Cicirelli, V. G. (2002). Older Adults' Views of Death. Springer Publishing.
I read this book because I am working on a paper on the topic. I was struck with the author's great descriptions of his mixed method study and the interesting details he shared on the elderly participants' thoughts on death. His interview questions were different than our former study's, but definitely consistent.

The second book is:
Cain, S. (2012). Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking. Crown Publishing

As an introvert, this book interested me. It is a research based book that will make you understand how the American culture has developed in praise of extroverts. But it also makes you very aware of the need that we have for introverts and their great power in observation and listening. Whether you are an introvert or extrovert I think you will find it fascinating.
Lee Stadtlander


No comments:

Post a Comment