Monday, March 19, 2012

Qualitative Student Data

We are hoping to present this info on a poster in Minneapolis at Walden's summer session. This is the data from the student journals

Analyses: In order to qualitatively analyze the 9 students’ journals, week 6 and week 12 journals were examined for each of the three quarters.  Only journals that addressed at least one of the following topics were included: comments on the study, personal insights/ thoughts/ comments on group interaction. No late assignments were utilized. Some students reflected on personal issues in their lives, these were not included in the analysis. The responses were coded and themes explored.

Quarter 1 Themes (training and data collection)

Learning, research knowledge, reality of research, self-learning, time management, excitement, group support, new skills, confidence, flexibility, shared experiences

"This journey continues to prompt me to learn about myself and the experiences I have.  I continue to expand my levels of knowledge." (Student D)

Quarter 2 Themes (quantitative & qualitative data analysis)

Research knowledge, mental challenge, learning, enjoyment of research process, group learning, conference call, decision-making, new skills, awareness of applied skills, accomplishment, aware of lack of knowledge

"I will honestly say that before this point, I had not really thought a lot about the interview answers that some of my participants provided.  Going back and transcribing them made me really think about the answers and what they had in common." (Student C)

Quarter 3 Themes (literature review & journal quality write up)

Awareness & appreciation of elderly, writing, conference call, learning, fatigue, perfection, almost gave up, flexibility, conference call, skills, reduced anxiety, learning to ask questions, help with dissertation, dedication

"I would like to think that my awareness of issues experienced by those 85 and older has increased.  I find myself more conscious of those individuals I encounter on a daily basis.  I feel that I have been able to increase this awareness in others as well." (Student D)   

"My steam is beginning to run out, which is starting to be reflective in my work quality. I have to get over that and keep moving :>)." (Student E)

 Themes over 3 quarters:

Individual growth and self-learning: recognition of self-limitations, did not know how to do things they thought they knew but came up with a plan to solve problems, appreciation for group connectedness

"I suppose that the learning that occurs in the [other] classes is more on a knowledge base and increasing that base.  The exposure I have had through the project is on a number of different levels.  The actual immersion in the process, completing portions of the process and then putting the portions together encompasses other levels." (Student D)
 
Students showed individual growth and self-learning. Many reported appreciating the shared experience of working and learning in a group with a common goal. It was a common experience to report that while they had studied and applied concepts and skills in a classroom setting, the application of those skills in a research setting was more complex. For example, everyone had taken statistics courses, but the application with a real data set was more difficult than expected for the students.
 
The qualitative data demonstrated that with a three quarter interval between data collection and write-up, the students (and faculty) appeared to become fatigued with the process. For example, students responded slower to discussion questions, they were less verbal in lab meetings, and reported in journals that they were tired and stressed with the project.
Lee Stadtlander

1 comment: