Marty Giles and I brainstormed ideas on skype for elements that we want to include in the new Health Efficacy questionnaire. I updated what I had started on it and sent it to my colleagues on the project - Marty Giles and Amy Sickel. I then went back through all of our IRB materials adding in the idea of validating a health efficacy questionnaire.
I thought I would talk briefly today about the idea of research collaboration (for students - think about it in terms of your chair and committee). There are both good and bad aspects about the process of collaboration, let me highlight a few things that come to my mind. Positives are getting multi-viewpoints and knowledge bases, which always benefits any research project. Also, it is just more enjoyable (if you get along with the people), then working in isolation. Negatives are it takes much longer as you wait for feedback (a common student complaint!) and sometimes you don't agree with the feedback. This highlights the importance of deciding who is in charge of the project, although even when you are ultimately responsible you still have to play nice with others and try to reach a compromise. I think it is important that all involved have a similar work ethic, social loafing (when one person does not do their part) can make you crazy. You also have to be respectful of others' time and recognize that your priorities may not be theirs. So thinking in terms of your graduate committee - make sure you understand the dissertation process. An analogy I like is the student drives the ship but the chair is the navigator. They are there to steer you around the dangerous places but you are the one who has to the actual work.
I am very lucky in that my colleagues on the project and I work well together, have similar interests, and mutually enjoy the research process. I have (tried) to work with others where it was not as enjoyable. I'd love to hear to hear what you think of collaboration and particularly would like my colleagues' point of view on the process.
No comments:
Post a Comment