In this week's lab meeting, we ironed out questions from students about the research protocol and talked a bit about issues arising from the recordings of students' first practice interview.
Interviewing skills are complex; when interviewing we are required to attend to the human participants in front of us and treat them with respect and care. We are required to present in a professional manner and we are required to maintain the integrity of the data. All of this with someone who is a stranger to us and given our population, who may have physical or cognitive limitations which further test our interpersonal and academic skills. Volumes have literally been written on interviewing skills so it is no surprise that we too need to practice.
Personally, I know that my own interviewing skills were honed by doing hundreds of clinical interviews. It was like interviewing boot camp, in hindsight but it was invaluable. The more I did, the more comfortable I became with both the protocol and anything that the interview threw at me!
AES
No comments:
Post a Comment