I just posted an introduction in our research lab classroom and it sunk in a bit more, as to how *unique* it is that we will all get to work together toward these research goals in this capacity. Not only is this new to Walden and perhaps most/all online universities, but after attending a recent alumni event at my alma mater, I see that brick and mortar schools are trying to jump on this, the use of eClassrooms and social media for research purposes, bandwagon.
At this alumni event, I was struck by how cutting edge not only Walden truly is but how particularly true that is for this lab. Indeed, use of online learning 'portals' as noted in this Chronicle article (see: http://chronicle.com/article/Online-Learning-Portals-/127694/?sid=wc&utm_source=wc&utm_medium=en) are increasing so I expect we will see more of these online labs within short time.
That same Chronicle also mentions the use of blogs for graduate students (see: http://chronicle.com/blogs/profhacker/announcing-gradhacker/33741?sid=wc&utm_source=wc&utm_medium=en) and I certainly would have liked access to a blog when I was in school. My husband is considering buying a new car and has been following blogs on the fuel economy reported by current owners of that car, to get additional data to help his decision. It is a whole new world, almost every day it seems ;-)
So I feel excited on the one hand about starting this project and on the other, I feel honored to be among the pioneers in online research labs. It is an invigorating time to be here!
AES
No comments:
Post a Comment