For me, new learning is definitely occurring in this lab with regard to the use of qualitative and mixed methods. I was trained in quantitative methods, so qualitative methods at first seemed too loosey-goosey for my 'it must be counted' mindset. I still find myself trying to put numbers to Dr. Giles' themes and she patiently tolerates this and waits for me to 'get it' that the theme is the result and the point of the matter. The ah-ha moment eventually comes for me, but sometimes it does take a moment as I inadvertently scan my brain for scales or measures that would be appropriate.
I have students who are conducting mixed methods dissertations but for these students, I require a committee member who is an expert in qualitative methods. I have learned a lot from these experiences and often what I learn is quite humbly, that I have a lot to learn. One of my previous doctoral students conducted a study using phenomenology with plane crash survivors. There are simply no number patterns that could ever effectively or interestingly replicate my student's findings. While I still don't think I could run a study using transcendental phenomenology, I certainly know more about it than before I worked with my student and our committee members.
Realizing that we don’t know much can be, I find, very liberating. I think this is one of the reasons I like working in academia as much as I do. I find this awareness energizing and frankly, hopeful. There are always new ways to understand and approach our questions and uncertainties and qualitative/mixed methods represent this to me. I find these methods 1) allow for a much richer picture to evolve and 2) that over time I gain knowledge. As a result, I find I can tolerate the temporary discomfort my temporary ignorance brings.
Besides, some of my best friends do qualitative work ;-)
AES
No comments:
Post a Comment