Friday, October 21, 2011

How much to help out?

I would like to pick up on a comment Dr. Stadtlander made in her recent blog, about how challenging it can be to know how much to help the students versus doing parts of the work ourselves. I whole heartedly agree with Dr. Stadtlander in that I often find myself debating as to how many questions I ask of our students so as to stimulate their critical thinking versus my own wanting to provide the answer so that we in fact get to the answer. I hope you will excuse this analogy, but it reminds me greatly of parenting! I go through something similar to this with our nine year old daughter. Granted, my questions meant to foster my daughter's critical thinking are more in line with: 'What do *you* think would be a healthy snack?' or 'What do *you* think it means to be a good friend' - but you get my point.

It can therefore be hard to know if/when students are getting what they need. Consequently, I find it helpful to hear from students in multiple venues (via blog, conference calls, emails, jounral entries, and in the classroom).

Another challenge I see in our work at this time is that we are working on qualitative data analysis which is much less structured, in my humble opinion, than is quantitative work. As a result of this, students can find this part of the work unclear so we continue to do our best to anchor the qualitative data analysis tasks at hand.


AES

No comments:

Post a Comment