Thursday, November 3, 2011

thoughts

I have been thinking a lot about the ethical issues inherent in research. I believe that most students, and hopefully, all researchers know about protecting subjects. Subjects involved in studies must be informed of the purpose, length, requirements and all parts of a study prior to consenting to be in the study. This is informed consent, and protects both the participant and the researcher. Of course, there are other considerations: humane treatment, avoidance of deception, no coercion, etc. But all of these issues relate to the study participants.

I wonder how much students really look at the ethics involved in data collection. If someone marks two numbers on the same line of a survey, if they skip a question, if they do a task after the due date..... can that data be used? The simple answer is no. Of course if the survey allows for skipped questions, the researcher can simply throw out the skipped question or omit the double answer. If the response is time sensitive and results come in late, that data cannot be used. What if one of the subjects decides at the last minute that he/she does not want his/her data used? It must be thrown out even if the analysis has been completed.

I believe that student researchers sometimes forget that informed consent allows the individual to pull out of the study at any time. That really does not happen, to my knowledge, but I wonder if students think about what they would do if it did happen. I wonder if they think about what they would do if surveys that were time sensitive were submitted late? What would they do if half a survey was left incomplete?


We spend a great deal of time talking about the ethics involved in human research, but not as much about what happens once the consent form has been signed. I am wondering if more time should be spent with students talking about the ethics involved with data collection, analysis, and what can be said in a discussion of the results..... Just my thoughts...

1 comment:

  1. Dr. G, I feel like I must respond to your post :) As someone who has done research with the elderly and memory, I can definitely say yes, some people stop partly through a study! When a task is difficult and/or frustrating, it is not at all unusual to have someone say that they have had enough. As a researcher, all you can do is thank them for their time... and lose their data.
    Lee Stadtlander

    ReplyDelete