Thursday, December 29, 2011

Summary Weeks 3 & 4

Holidays are always a strange time in academia, and particularly so at Walden, because we don’t technically get any time off. Add to that – two instructors got ill and you have a class pushing along under the momentum already established. The past 2 weeks students have been writing drafts of their literature reviews. There have been many common writing issues, such as not citing a source for statements or facts, and not addressing the "so what?" and "who cares?" questions. But they appear to be off to a good start on the process.

I read an interesting book on the oldest old on my trip to visit my children that I thought I would share:
Loe, M. (2011). Aging our way: Lessons for living from 85 and beyond. Oxford Press.  

The book is written by a sociologist and is basically her qualitative research, in which she interviewed 30 oldest old in Albany, NY. She has a slightly different focus than a psychologist, but it is surprising how similar some of her interviewees are to ours.
Happy New Year everyone!
Lee Stadtlander

No comments:

Post a Comment