I am finding it very interesting that, as this quarter begins, I am learning a new language. Wile I have always wanted to learn Swahili, this quarter I am learning the language of quantitative analysis. And it is a new language!! I tend to think in circular ways and qualitative analysis comes easy to me. I look at what is being said and can "see" themes emerge. I do not easily see measurement, numbers, what is predicting what, or what is influenced by what. I tend to look at data in terms of questions. If X changed, would Y remain the same? If X is present, is Y higher or lower? If X and Y are present is Z also present?
And yet, that is analysis... it is simply a different way of phrasing it. But if I am looking at doing quantitative analysis, I need to know the terms to make myself understood by others. I cannot ask other researchers to learn my language just so they can understand my findings.
And back to Swahili... if I go to Tanzania, I can state things in English and hope others understand or I can learn the language and know they will understand....Mimi ni kujifunza
http://www.all-translation.com/translation/swahili/ says that means I am learning. That's cool. If a day went through without some learning, I think I might wilt.
ReplyDelete