Monday, May 23, 2011

Beginnings

 I finally got access to the lab course and have been spending some time getting it set up. Somehow it always takes longer than anticipated! Now I am trying to arrange for Drs. Giles and Sickel to also get access (bureaucracy moves slowly!). I sent out the first research knowledge and research self efficacy surveys to both lab students and control students. I am already getting some back and have started entering the data.

As Dr. Giles and Sickel mentioned last week, we submitted a change in procedure form to IRB, so we could use a different LOC survey. That has been approved so we are good to start.

We are excited to start the lab and finally get the project under way. I thought you might like to know about what the students will be learning this quarter. Everything is structured so that they will get a cram course in topics related to the project. They will start out with getting an overview of the project by reading our IRB forms and the grant application. Then they will begin reading some articles/ book chapters on the oldest old and doing qualitative interviewing. They will read articles about each of the survey measures that we will use. They will have readings from a mixed methods textbook and additional info on oldest old.

Every 2 weeks we will have a conference call. At week 2 they will listen to one instructor interviewing a 2nd instructor. They will then have a chance to ask questions on it. Each student will then be required to do a practice interviews with a friend or family (any age) and submit the recording and all of the paperwork to me. Week 4 they will interview an elderly friend or family member (over age 65) and submit the recording and paperwork. These will be listened to by all 3 faculty and the student given feedback. If approved they will be able to start their 4 interviews in week 6, if not approved they will need to do another practice one.

There are a lot of things to consider, some we have learned the hard way. One thing we learned in a previous study is Walden email objects to large recording files - we continually got error messages on them. I discovered that there is an internet site: yousendit.com that allows students to upload large files in a "mailbox" and I am notified to go and get them. I can then download them to my computer. I am sure that there will be new things discovered in the next few quarters, I'll let you know as they come up!

Lee Stadtlander

3 comments:

  1. Hello Dr. Stadtlander,
    I am sure you have already thought of this, but is the "yousendit.com site" secure? I know that is one of the considerations I am looking at in my dissertation work, for data storage. How can we be sure this method of data transmission is secure enough to pass IRB scrutiny?
    Like I said, this is probably a silly question. But I have to ask for my own knowledge.
    Thanks!
    Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carrie,
    Excellent question, and one you should be considering when doing research! Here is the security statement from yousendit.com's site at http://www.yousendit.com/solutions/secure-file-transfer:

    Here’s how YouSendIt ensures secure file transfer:

    •Data integrity is protected during file transfer using industry-standard, 128-bit SSL encryption deployed using Class 3 certificates and Server-Gated Cryptography (SGC). Read more about YouSendIt seven-layer security policy
    •Advanced security options include file-level password, authenticated delivery and file expirations
    •Comprehensive audit and tracking tools enable users to monitor all download activity
    •YouSendIt is PCI and HIPAA compliant and complies with the privacy provisions of the Gramm-Leach-Bliley (GLB) Act governing the financial industry
    •YouSendIt Data Centers are SAS 70 Type II compliant ensuring that all controls and safeguards are in place for data, systems, and network.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dr. Stadtlander,
    Thanks for this response! The HIPPA compliance is certainly a good indicator of proper security measures.

    ReplyDelete