Friday, March 25, 2011

I did my ecomap...

Like Drs. Stadtlander and Giles, I did my ecomap this week in an attempt to help iron out instructions for it.

One issue for me, being a detail kind of person, was that I had to narrow my focus to the most proximal social support network, that being: immediate family, birth family, extended family, friends, and colleagues. I could have kept going because I find many layers of social support influence my life.

It was interesting to see all of those names on paper. Thinking about it from an RA perspective with regard to recruiting participants, it is a graphic depiction of how potentially rich/diverse our participants will be. Plus, it may be that the individuals we recruit are not folks who would typically be recruited for research studies using more typical sampling methods. I continue to find this sampling strategy - while new to my more quantitative sampling brain - fascinating and potentially invaluable in the online research world.

No comments:

Post a Comment