Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Quiet break day

This week we are on break, which has given me a chance to work on the background and paperwork aspects of the studies. On the LOC project, data is still trickling in and I spent some time entering data in SPSS and working on transcripts. Once I get all of the survey data in I hope to share some results with you.

On the oldest old dr. project I worked on the syllabus for the lab. I discovered there are some new issues when you have to plan for 3 quarters working with the same students. I have syllabi from previous one quarter labs, so used some of that material, but we need to think about how to best prepare students for the data analysis and writing portions in quarters 2 & 3. I ordered a few books on mixed methodology and writing for publication, so hopefully some of those will work out.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Dr. S

    I am curious about your comment that preparing for a 3 quarter project with the same students presents new issues. I am wondering why this is- is? At first I assumed that it was because of the progression of the project and what that means for the students in terms of their responsibilties-- but then I thought, I really shouldn't assume anything! In what ways did you adapt the syllabi to meet the new circumstances? Thanks! Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cindy,
    Thanks for your question! Actually my answer is both of your assumptions- progression of study and change in responsibilities. In the first quarter the students will be trained on the methodology, learn about gerontology, and test their subjects. So this is what we have done previously in the old labs.

    In the new version they are with us for 2 more quarters. In quarter 2 they will be analyzing the surveys in SPSS and doing a qualitative analysis of the interviews. So I have been playing with having them read about mixed methodology, and particularly about doing qualitative and mixed method analyses. I will probably also include some articles in which they used similiar methodology so they can get a feel for it.

    In quarter 3, the plan is for them to work with us on writing up a publishable paper. This is a different type of writing than they will have previously done. So I am thinking of including a book on writing for publication. We may want to include a closer look at the papers discussed in the 2nd quarter and talk about the writing style.

    The other issue I always have to keep in mind - is that students hate paying for books when they only use a small portion of them. So if I go the book route I will have to have them doing some preliminary work in them during the first quarter.

    Would love to hear your opinion! Ideas?

    ReplyDelete