Monday, March 21, 2011

More revisions

We have been revising our student researcher application forms today. The difficult portion is the ecomap - where students must draw out a graphical representation of their social networks. In an effort to make the final ecomaps consistent, we are fussing with the instructions. We then have each faculty member try to draw out their social networks based on the instructions. We are getting closer.

I also had a few of my doctoral students help us with the earliest memories rating scale. We had 50 people in the last study give us their earliest memories - and want to send them out for some experts to rate them along various criteria. But again we want to make sure the instructions are clear, so people understand what we need.

Researchers need to pilot test all instructions, as the developer you know what you want people to do - but you have to make sure that someone reading your instructions with no other background information clearly understands them. I think it helps to remind yourself that if someone doesn't do what you wanted them to do, you probably didn't make it clear. Your job as the writer is to make sure they get it.

I would also like to reinforce Dr. Sickel's comments about research experience - I also worked in a lab all through my undergraduate and graduate programs (and yes, I did pay tuition for the opportunity to do it). By the time I received my doctorate I already had several conference presentations and articles - it made getting a faculty position considerably easier! So I encourage you to take every opportunity you can get to do research. The best part of working with faculty on a project - is they take care of the details (IRB approval, developing the paperwork), leaving you the opportunity to actually work with the participants - which is the fun part!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Dr. Stadtlander,

    I will only echo here that doing the eco map myself (like yourself and Dr. Giles) was a very useful exercise in seeing where the directions might need tweaking....let's hope our tweaking did indeed help!

    ReplyDelete