Saturday, April 23, 2011

Odds and Ends

We have been working this week on the LOC/ early memory study. Recall, that we had all of our participants tell us their earliest memory. We had previously found evidence that locus of control (LOC) could be seen in earliest memories. A little background - an external LOC means that someone believes that others control their life, while someone with an internal LOC believes that they are in control of their life. Anyway, we started getting ratings that we had requested some faculty to do and entering that data. With 5 raters we were getting a correlation between the score on the LOC test and the rating score by our experts with a p = .07 (for nonstats types - almost a statistically significant effect) . We asked several more faculty to rate them also - in order to raise the power. (If you were here in person I would ask you to explain why that may work - think about standard deviation).

I also received a newly published book on the oldest old that I am excited about - if you are interested in this population - you should consider getting it:

Poon, L. W. & Cohen-Mansfield, J. (2011). Understanding well-being in the oldest old. NY: Cambridge Press.

All of our lab students are now registered for the lab class in the summer - I had to send academic advising an email with their names and ID numbers to register them. I am continuing to work on the syllabus for the 2nd quarter lab.

Lee Stadtlander

No comments:

Post a Comment