Thanks to all of our student researchers and controls who have sent me your forms. For those of you who still need to so do - please know I will be on vacation next week, so should you send it I will confirm receipt of them the first week in May.
Dr. Stadtlander confirmed that those NIH training certificates regarding work with human participants are indeed valid for three years - so if you have one that is current, please send it along.
As we gear up for the start of the lab in June, I am delving into the Creswell and Clark text (2011). While I may not read this while on vacation ;-) due to an autobiography from our Miami guest speaker, Jehan Sedat that I wish to finish, I must say this text looks like a solid compliment to what Walden currently offers in the Research Design class.
What I particularly appreciate thus far and we will get into this in the classroom in June no doubt, is that this approach as outlined here, is need based. This pragmatic approach is in no way conflicting, in my humble opinion, with qualitative or quantitative study individually. This pragmatic approach to both existing literature and future research appeals.
I sincerely hope that this Online Lab experience does the same for our students – that it offers a strong compliment to our students’ academic experiences at Walden.
Amy Sickel
Creswell, J. W. & Plano Clark, V.L. (2011) Designing and conducting mixed methods research, 3rd ed. Los Angeles: Sage.
I'm excited about being a researcher on the project. I like to have multiple sources available so I can better understand the details of the statistical and research processes, so I took a look at several books that relate to or reinforce the main Creswell and Plano Clark (2011) text:
ReplyDeletePlano Clark, V. L., & Creswell, J. W. (2008). The mixed methods reader. Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE Publications, Inc.
This companion text contains a number of articles from researchers in the field expanding on each of the topics covered in the main text. This looks like a great secondary resource for figuring things out as we go along.
Teddlie, C., & Tashakkori, A. (2009). Foundations of mixed methods research: Integrating qualitative and quantitative approaches in the social and behavioral sciences. Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE Publications, Inc.
This appears to be one of the main introductory texts on the topic, and is quite good.
You can never have too many books!
Michael Starsheen, BS MSCS
Ph.D. graduate student & researcher
Walden University
michael.starsheen@waldenu.edu
mastarsheen@att.net